New Commuter

New Commuter
Pic by K. McDaniel

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Work isn't understanding

Sunday 01/02
I had a good, late afternoon run after running errands with Kerry all morning. I got in 14 miles (2:03) on a somewhat chilly and breezy afternoon in the desert. I'm still a little surprised about how cold it's been here over the last week or so, but it did prompt me to order a few colder weather running items from running warehouse.

I'm still having trouble getting up this little short and steep hill. It's only .39 miles long but it's a rock garden with every step you take sliding one way or another with roughly an 18% grade. I may just have to settle with this climb taking a lot longer than it should because of the horrible footing.

Monday 01/03
So, I'm getting ready to head out the door and over to Dreamy for my morning run when I get a call that my uniform order for work is probably incorrect. With my basketball league starting this evening I had no choice but to shower and head in. Unfortunately, they were right when they said the uniform order wasn't correct.  I ended up spending the morning and afternoon getting my basketball uniform order straightened out and getting in trouble in the process. I could tell you more about it, but I would have to start an entire other blog to tell you about it. It was quite the Monday...

Tuesday 01/04
After a long and exhausting day at work on Monday I headed into Dreamy for a long 9.6 miles (1:33:41). I say long because the hills were longer and steeper than they've been in several weeks. Not sure what was going on but I just couldn't get it together and up the hills this morning.

Wednesday 01/05
Another tough morning even though I ran a little better today, I still need to shake off the Monday-no-running-blues. 10.25 miles (1:40:17), a little short of the pace that I want to hold, but I feel between the bad footing and non-stop slipping on rocks that section of Dreamy is just going to be slow.

Thursday 01/06
Work is getting in the way of my training once again today. I'm trying to balance both as much as I can, but this week didn't work out that way. After missing Monday, I had two poor runs on Tuesday & Wednesday, and then missed again today with work responsibilities. Maybe I'm using work as an excuse too often, but none-the-less I need to try harder not to miss any days other than the one day a week I'm going to rest to keep my knees healthy. I'm going to continue riding once or twice a week as well, at least for the month of January.

Friday 01/07
After a frustrating Thursday of not getting to run, I headed out determined to turn over some miles. Not thinking about it or pushing myself very hard, I kicked up 10 miles (58:17:06) and felt great. I only had one climb and it was just a gradual hill with no more than a 3% or 4% incline on a nice and smooth trail with great footing. It's been so long since I've run on flat and smooth terrain that I forgot what it was like to run sub 6 minute miles. Later in the day it turned out to be quite costly. My calves were so sore that I could barely walk after sitting at my desk for too long. Plus, as the day progressed I started feeling a slight twinge in my left calf. The last thing that I need after a poor week of running is a strained calf muscle.

Saturday 01/08
What a pathetic week in running! It's upsetting that I ran less than 50 miles this week when it should have been around 80 or 90.  As mentioned above, I'm trying to balance a full and somewhat sporadic work schedule with training and the first week has proven to be difficult. I missed two days in the middle of week which I CAN'T afford to do. After yesterday my left calf has as many knots in it as a golf ball has dimples. With that said, yes, I'm missing another day this week and for those of you who are counting that makes 3. I'll be spending today in shame and refocusing on the week at ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment